Barrier games are a favorite among clinicians and students. They are a great way to incorporate many skills: expressive skills (giving directions), receptive skills (following directions), social skills, basic concepts, vocabulary, categorization, sentence formation, and storytelling.
INCLUDES (in color and black & white):
- Firefighter scene with 9 separate pictures
- Policeman scene with 9 separate pictures
- Mail Carrier scene with 7 separate pictures
- Doctor scene with 9 separate pictures
- Dentist with 11 separate pictures
List of directions to give with each scene (targeting concepts below)!
- Vocabulary: e.g. Put the fireman in the scene.
- Adjectives: e.g. colors, size
- Spatial concepts: e.g. on, in, under, below, next to, between
- Following multi-step directions
- Sequential directions: e.g. -Before you put the firetruck on the road, put the ambulance on the road.
- Social skills: e.g. Making eye contact to give/receive instructions and asking questions to clarify instructions.
HOW TO PLAY:
Laminate scenes, then cut and laminate pieces that go with each scene.
Barrier games are most commonly played on a magnetic surface. You can play on cookie sheets and place pieces on a thin, sticky magnet. Otherwise, you can put tack on each piece so it will stick to the scene.
Give everyone playing a scene and set of pieces. Set up a barrier between players (e.g. file folder). One person (clinician or student) arranges all their pieces on the scene and then gives directions to other player(s) on where to place the items. The purpose of the game is to have matching scenes at the end.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN THESE OTHER BARRIER GAMES:
Air & Space Themed Barrier Games
Animal Themed Barrier Games
Holiday Themed Barrier Games
Ocean Barrier Games
Back to School Barrier Games
Seasons Barrier Games
This is a digital product that will be available for download upon purchase. Due to the nature of this product, there are no returns.
Do not share or email this document with anyone. Permission to copy for individual use only. If you would like to share with other therapists, teachers, or parents please direct them to my store. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the Internet in any form is strictly forbidden. Do not modify or alter this document.